14 November 2010

We Will Remember....

I always make sure I get my poppy for each Remembrance Day but this year there is a bit more significance to my wearing of it.  I've been doing some research into my Family History.  Earlier this year I found a 2nd cousin on Genes Reunited who filled in a lot that I didn't know about my Dad's side of the family.  It turns out my great Grandfather was married twice.  He remarried in 1915 and they had a son John Henry born in 1920.  He was on board HMS Courageous one of the first U-boat offensives against the Royal Navy in WWII.

So this year I wear my poppy with pride in memory of my Great Uncle


John Henry Devonport
1920 - 17 September 1939

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

No comments: