04 October 2009

Calendar Girls postcard

I'm late finishing my Calendar Girls postcard for September. Life got in the way and it will get worse later this month. Our landlord is putting in a new kitchen for us so it will be chaos for up to 10 days. It will be worth it in the end because I would be so ashamed to show a photo of it at the moment. Nothing has been done to it since it was done in 1975 so if you where around then you will have an idea of what it looks like.

Anyway back to September's postcard.

As soon as I saw Pat's choice at the beginning of the year I knew exactly what I was going to do.


I used a piece of fabric I'd already dyed and put it through my smocking pleater, pulled the threads out and ironed a piece of iron on viline to the back of it.


I've got a bag of proper 'shisha glass' that I bought when I did an Indian embroidery class years ago so embroidered them on the the background.


Finally I made some machine cord with variagated thread and couched them on to the postcard.


I hope Val likes my interpretation.

3 comments:

Doreen G said...

What a great interpretation Susan and I love the pleated background.

Val said...

I love it Susan - thanks so much for putting all that work into it! (hope your kitchen turns out to be all you ever wanted ...)

Sally Westcott said...

Wow - I love it! I would never, in a pink fit, thought of doing something like that! Works like a dream. I'll put that idea into my memory banks.

Hugz

PS I have you on my blog roll but you are down the bottom - says you haven't updated for 12 months! (I check in any way)