24 August 2008

Culture Day out

It was a bit late yesterday to post about my day out and I was to put it politely - knackered.

I finally got to the Klimt exhibition down at Tate Liverpool. I don't know if it was because I chose to go on a Saturday and a Bank holiday weekend as well or whether it's been like it for as long as the exhibition has been on, but it was absolutely packed.

I already knew that there where other artists works so I wasn't disappointed but I think if you where going just for Klimt you may very well be.

I was a bit early to get in so I went up to the 1st floor to have a look at some of the other art work on display to be greeted by a piece of sculpture I've always wanted to see, Degas 'Little Dancer'.



I also got to see Andy Warhol's Marilyn Diptych, his screenprint of Queen Elizabeth II and a self portrait. Some of the art work got weirder as I progressed. Perhaps it's old fashioned of me BUT I just don't get some Modern Art. I mean what is artistic about a woman standing in the nude pulling a long piece of paper from a private part of her body.

Any way back to the Klimt exhibition. The first part is a reproduction of the 'Beethoven Freize'. As I've already mentioned it was very crowded so it gave me plenty of time to look at it and appreciate all the details. The crowds thinned a bit so I went back to the beginning of the freeze to look at it again because I know Carol had mentioned once you left this room you couldn't go back. I waited for the lift up to the 4th floor and the rest of the exhibition but again it was so crowded it took ages to see some of the paintings. It was a good thing I'd been warned about the Nude drawings in the last room. I'm broad-minded but they where a bit naughty and made me blush.

I think my favourite paintings where 'Two Girls with Oleander'

and this beautiful portrait of his daughter Helene Klimt.


Not at all what I'd expected because you usually associate 'The Kiss' or one of his other highly decorative pieces with Klimt.

Was it worth going? A definite YES!!! It closes next Sunday but if you get the chance to come and see it, I'd recommend you do.

4 comments:

Carol said...

It sounds as though you had a marvellous time, thanks for sharing.

Papoosue said...

Ah, this looks like it was a lovely exhibition, Susan. I've seen Degas' Little Dancer a couple of times myself, and it is lovely.

Thanks for your comments - those taters were deeeeelicious!

Kim said...

Sounds like you had a fab time. I remember seeing the little dancer when I was very small - it made a big impression on me. Kimx

Cathy W said...

This exhibit looks wonderful -- thank you for sharing it with us! Wish I was closer so I could see it, too ... of course it's already gone now. My boys wish we were closer too -- they are huge Beatles fans (not bad for 11 year olds!)