28 February 2008

TIF February

Hurray I've finished my piece with a day to spare. I've used the colour option with a little of the concept.

I can remember when holidays where taken in this country and not jetting off abroad . My Dad's sister lived in Scarborough so we went every summer for a week. The last time we went was the summer of 1969 when my Dad died and for some reason we never went again.

This is a photo taken with my older cousin Alan at Peasholm Park you can see the lake in the background where three times a week in summer a naval battle takes place.

This my brother and I on the pirate ship 'Hispaniola' on The Mere near my Aunts house. It sailed to a little island where we dug for treasure.

Anyway back to this months challenge. I did a modern take on the holiday postcard. The colours reminded me of sky and beach so I printed the colours on to a piece of cotton fabric that I backed with freezer paper so it would go through the printer. Next I FME each colour with matching thread.


Finally I wrote 'Welcome to Scarborough' on a piece of tissue paper and hand embroidered the message and this is what I cam up with.

5 comments:

Kentish Maid said...

That's really lovely - so simple, but really effective.
Sheila

Barbara said...

The colours on this piece look great together and I like the stitching. I enjoyed looking at your blog and reading about your memories. I'm in Susan's Monoprinting class with you. I've only managed to do a few lots of printing - there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to keep up.

Gwen said...

I love your sweet photos, and the postcard, what a great way to combine the concept and the color scheme!

Meg in Albuquerque said...

Your postcard turned out so well, i hope where ever it goes, it is well loved.

Julie said...

We were in Scarboro last week. I really like going there and I've walked thro Peasholm Park in the past. Your postcard is lovely, what a great idea!