13 January 2008

'Take it Further'

I've signed up for Sharon B's 'Take it Further' Challenge. Each month there will be 2 options: a key option or colour scheme or a design element.

"The key concept for January is a feeling we have all had, the feeling of admiration for another. Ask yourself who do you look up to and admire? Why? What is it you admire about them?"

and the colour option is:


I was immediately drawn to the colour option as I admire a lot of people and couldn't narrow it down to just one person. Over Christmas I watched the film 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'
and after some thought I think I know what to do. I admire the way painters centuries ago could with many layers of paint reproduce fabric in their paintings so well that you could almost feel the silkiness of the satin. I'm going to try in acrylics (faster drying than oils) my version of a painting of fabric. It may not come to anything but I'll give it a try.

Lynda has posted her version of an Andy Worhol painting done in Photoshop. A few years ago I did a class on Digital Imaging and one of the exercises was Posterizing a black and white photograph. So I found a picture of Vermeer's ' Girl with a Pearl Earring' and using the colour option I came up with this.


7 comments:

sharon young said...

Hi Susan
What a difference this treatment makes to the original version. Will you work your acrylic painting using this one as a guide?
Wouldn't it be great to stage an exhibition of all the TIF pieces at the end of the year.
Thanks for dropping in on my blog

Debbi Baker said...

Very striking Susan!!

fiona d said...

I love the approach you're taking to this. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of it. My TIF thoughts are still only in my head... I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the You Make my Day award.

Purple Missus said...

I like the way you have done this one Susan. I think I shall have a go at Kylie Minogue in this way too.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with using the acrylics.

Julie said...

I saw this film too and thoroughly enjoyed it. This portrait was the first art postcard I bought when I was young. Your treatment of it in Photoshop is very effective. Thank you for the good wishes. I am improving bit by bit.

Gina said...

Wow! That really is effective. One of my favourite paintings (and such a beautiful film) Will be interesting to see where you go with this.

Kentish Maid said...

Hi Susan
Here's another nomination for the Make my Day award. I really enjoy reading your two blogs.
Sheila