05 November 2007

Doodling Designs lesson 2

I'm half way through lesson 2 but thought I'd post what I've done so far. We had to make a collage of photo's from a magazine, but I must be one of the few women in the UK who never buys women's magazines so I had to find another solution. I decided to use some of my own photographs to make my collage.


Then I cropped and enlarged the part I wanted to use


then used the filter 'Find edges' in Photoshop.

Next I used some Javana silk paints to colour a 12 inch square of cotton fabric, it's not as light as the photo shows but I still think it will need some more paint putting on when I've finished embroidering.



The design was drawn on to a piece of water soluble paper


and then I used black embroidery thread to back stitch the design. I thought I was running out of thread as well at one point but I looked through my stash and found 2 skeins so I should have just enough to finish this piece. Black isn't a colour I usually have much of but I'll have to stock up with some next time I go to town, module 2 of C & G is about Tone so I'll be using a lot of black and white.

Can't say I'm very keen on water soluble paper either. I managed to pull at lot of it off but had to wet the rest to get it of but it sticks like mad. I even used a toothbrush to see if that helped but it didn't, much. Now it's dry you can see a slight haze on the black thread where it must still be stuck.

Now I've just got to doodle on the rest of the fabric and embroider it.

PS to clarify how I got the black and white design to work with. In Photoshop click on 'image>mode>grayscale' to discard the colour information then click on 'filter>stylize>find edges' and you should get something similar to my design.

11 comments:

Joanna van said...

Hi Annette, I didn't realize you could get such a detailed B/W sketch from photoshop. I couldn't find "found edges". Do you mean "find edges"? I tried this but didn't get the detail you did.

Joanna

Ruth said...

Very nice sketch effect - I like it. I'll be interested to see the completed piece.

Purple Missus said...

This is great Susan - they say you learn something new every day!
What a good way to get you started on sketching. Any other PSP tricks up your sleeve that you wouldn't mind sharing with us.

Carol said...

Great image you used, it looks really efective in the grey scale design.

Julie said...

Wow susan. I've just had a go with the photoshop thingy! Thanks for the tip and for sharing your process.

StegArt said...

I think this is going to look fantastic with that black thread on your painted background. I had never played with that filter before and it looks like fun...will have to give it a go sometime. I wonder if a tear away stabilizer would have worked better than the water soluble.

Gina said...

That is looking fantastic Susan. Love the photograph and how you have manipulated it!

Clevelandgurlie said...

Susan - this is going to be a stunning piece of art when you are finished - I just know it. Forget the womens' magazines - your photo is gorgeous and will add just that much more of "you" to your creation.

Papoosue said...

Thanks for your comments Susan x.

You really are getting on fantastically with your course aren't you? I am amazed at all the wonderful things you are creating and all these techniques you are using. I need to spend some time catching up on your posts! xx

The Wittering Rainbow said...

I enjoyed reading about and seeing the photos of your progression with this piece. V interesting!

MargaretR said...

This is lovely Susan. I wouldn't touch the colours myself as it shows up the black stitching so well.