I'm half way through lesson 2 but thought I'd post what I've done so far. We had to make a collage of photo's from a magazine, but I must be one of the few women in the UK who never buys women's magazines so I had to find another solution. I decided to use some of my own photographs to make my collage.
Then I cropped and enlarged the part I wanted to use
then used the filter 'Find edges' in Photoshop.
Next I used some Javana silk paints to colour a 12 inch square of cotton fabric, it's not as light as the photo shows but I still think it will need some more paint putting on when I've finished embroidering.
The design was drawn on to a piece of water soluble paper
and then I used black embroidery thread to back stitch the design. I thought I was running out of thread as well at one point but I looked through my stash and found 2 skeins so I should have just enough to finish this piece. Black isn't a colour I usually have much of but I'll have to stock up with some next time I go to town, module 2 of C & G is about Tone so I'll be using a lot of black and white.
Can't say I'm very keen on water soluble paper either. I managed to pull at lot of it off but had to wet the rest to get it of but it sticks like mad. I even used a toothbrush to see if that helped but it didn't, much. Now it's dry you can see a slight haze on the black thread where it must still be stuck.
Now I've just got to doodle on the rest of the fabric and embroider it.
PS to clarify how I got the black and white design to work with. In Photoshop click on 'image>mode>grayscale' to discard the colour information then click on 'filter>stylize>find edges' and you should get something similar to my design.
Travels in Lanzarote: Day 12. Volcanos and Cacti - Another long walk: again from the hills above Haria down to the sea, but down a valley which brought us a little further down the coast. It was a steep v...
1 hour ago