04 September 2007

Cataract operation

My Mum had her cataract operation yesterday morning. We had to be at the hospital for 8am so it was an early morning for us both. The nurse that did her pre-op said she was 2nd on the list so would be going to theatre about 10.30 so it would be lunchtime before she could come home. So I didn't have to go all the way home and back again I stayed in town to do some shopping and went to a couple of exhibitions at the Walker Art gallery -

Out of this World: the art of Josh Kirby This exhibition spans Kirby's artistic career from his early days as a freelance artist to his famous cover illustrations for Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Eric/Faust fantasy books.

Unnatural selection: jewellery, objects and sculpture by Peter Chang

I turned my mobile off while I was in the gallery so I didn't get the message from the hospital until nearly noon. Mum had been down to theatre and was back by 10.05am so she'd been sitting twiddling her thumbs for nearly 2 hours waiting for me to pick her up. I have to put 2 lots of drops in her eye 4 times a day. Her eye looks a bit bloodshot and bruised but she says she can notice the difference already. Before I would come beside her and she would jump because she hadn't seen me coming which must have been rather disconcerting for her. She has to go back to see the cataract nurse for a check up next Tuesday and then about 6-8 weeks later she can get new glasses.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I hope your Mum is soon fully recovered. Poor thing it must have been so disconcerting for her. It sounds as though she is making good progress already. Best wishes to her.

Gina said...

I wish your Mum a speedy recovery. My Dad had one done a few weeks ago and is due to have the second one done at the end of next week. It seems to make a huge difference.

Papoosue said...

What a coincidence Susan, my father in law also had his cataract op on Tuesday (one eye).

Isn't it wonderful that your mum can notice a difference already? I wish her a speedy recovery. x

Julie said...

I'm glad your mum is getting on well after her cataract op. It's amazing the difference it makes. Best wishes from me too for a speedy recovery.

sandra wyman said...

Sound like your Mum's doing well - hope it continues. My friend had this done last year and says it's made a wonderful difference to her life!