03 September 2007

Artists Muse Chapter 3

I've finally done my piece for the Artists Muse Chapter 3. The Challenge was to create a symbolic or whimsical piece based on the title of your favourite book from childhood. I've always loved reading and I would borrow about 6 books each week from our local library when I was at school. I don't know if anyone knows of these books but I must have read every one written - The Chalet School series by Elinor Brent-Dyer, they where first printed in 1925. They are about a school based in the Swiss alps. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do but didn't know how to do it until I was watching Quilter's News Network the other night and one programme was about doing 'faux trapunto' and I knew what I wanted to do and this is what I came up with.

I made snowflakes from freezer paper, ironed it on to a piece of cotton then sprayed it with silk paint. I stitched around the snowflakes with a piece of wadding at the back then stitched more densely on the blue. It's puckered in a few places because the top layer of fabric was moving as I sewed but it's not bad for a first go.

8 comments:

Doreen G said...

Beautiful Susan just beautiful

fiona d said...

I really like the contrasts here. My daughter collects the Chalet School books - I've read some of them but not as many as you! I ordered the Artist's Muse today, it was your lovely piece with the watercolour and the torn papers that convinced me.

Sarah Nopp said...

I like that contrast too. I have been toying with trying trapunto, but am just not sure What. Good idea.

Purple Missus said...

Ooh what a lovely colour blue,makes the snowflakes really stand out. Not bad at all for a first go.

Sue B said...

Susan this is lovely!

Alis said...

It's gorgeous.

Gina said...

That is really pretty Susan. The snowflakes stand out beautifully.

Clevelandgurlie said...

Wow Susan -- this is really cool. I love the stuffed snowflake effect -- the stark white with the blue silk paint and stippling surrounding it! What are you going to make with this??