16 August 2007

Unlimited Textiles

I've joined the Yahoo Group Unlimited Textiles run by Alis and her friend Jan. So we can all get to know each other's work I signed up for the 'Getting to know you' Quiltie and ATC swap. I've never made a Quiltie before so I thought I'd try a couple before making one for the swap.

This first one is made with some cotton I rust dyed then overdyed with Procion dyes because they hadn't rusted very well. The squares at each corner have Transfer prints on them.


This one is in celebration of Liverpool's 800th birthday later this month. I printed the logo and word on to calico. It's the first time I've tried printing on to fabric so was very pleased at how it turned out.


.... and finally this is the one I made for Liz in Sheffield. Liz had to send me an ATC and it had a heart on it as well, spooky!!!!

BTW these Quilties are all 5 inch square, just a nice size to work on and hopefully as we swap more I'll become more experimental with them but still be me.

I finished the 2 ATC's I have to send to Maz and Claire this afternoon and I'll put them in the post tomorrow. I hope they like them.

I coloured some nappy liners with silk paints, cut them up into small shapes and ironed them on to a piece of cotton before putting a piece of scrim over the top. I got a pack of washers for 50p in Somerfield a few weeks ago so I used Buttonhole Wheel stitch to attach them with some of the thread I hand dyed a few weeks ago. You can't see in the photo but I brushed some 'Jo Sonja's Opal Dust' on to them which give them a bit of sparkle.

11 comments:

Pat said...

Love the ATCs, I like the blend of colours, the scrim makes it look as though the washers are floating

StegArt said...

Wow for never having done quilties before, I'd say you did a wonderful job. And just love the ATCs.

Alis said...

Wonderful work Susan.
All of it.
I'm sure your swap partners will be thrilled.

Gina said...

Fabulous work. I especially like the ATCs - such wonderful colours.

Papoosue said...

Gosh, you've been busy Susan! Your quilties are amazing - well done. You have finished them off so neatly too - very impressive:)

Julie said...

The quilties are great Susan and I love the ATCs both for their colours and the look of the scrim over the top. I like the look of the buttonwheel stitch on the washers.

Gunnels blog said...

I really like both your quilties and ATC!

Carol said...

Your ATCs are wonderful. I love how you used the scrim, fab. Your quilties are great and what a nice size to work with.

MargaretR said...

Wonderful quilties and ATC's.
Your quiltie with the printing about Liverpool is quite special.

Fiona said...

love the washers and scrim. Great backgrounds too... need to get the nappy liners out!

Homeleightigger said...

Love your Quilties and ATC's Susan. Actually the ATC's look so perfect I thought they were postcard size! just gorgeous. Val