I've finally got around to having a go at Rust dyeing. I did try a few weeks ago with a few screws we'd taken out of the numbers on the front door because they'd gone rusty but it didn't really work. So I tried with the decorators steel wool that I got from Wilkinsons when I went to town last week and it worked brilliantly.
I used some patchwork pieces I bought from Abakhans for 50p a pack. They where just big enough, about 12" square to layer with the steel wool and put in nappy bags overnight to work.
These first two are on a pale cream poly cotton
and these two are on white 100% cotton
I'm not sure what I'll use the fabric for but it will no doubt come in useful one day.
I've got a few more pieces but by the time I'd recharged the batteries for my camera it was a bit too dark to photograph them so I'll do them first thing tomorrow and put them in my next post.
PS I've had to edit this post. I hadn't noticed until Doreen said the poly cotton looked darker and I checked them and realised I put the photos the wrong way round.
Travels in Lanzarote: Day 12. Volcanos and Cacti - Another long walk: again from the hills above Haria down to the sea, but down a valley which brought us a little further down the coast. It was a steep v...
1 hour ago