01 July 2007

The Artists Muse May Challenge

I've finally managed to complete my challenge for May only 2 months behind. While I was doing it I kept feeling that something was familiar and I can't figure out why. I've looked at blogs I read regularly to see if it's because someone has done something like this but can't find anything so my apologies if anyone out there has done a piece similar to this I honestly didn't mean to copy.
The theme for May was 'the Spring of Creativity'. The challenge was to create a fibre piece to depict flowers. I chose Level 2: Create your flowers on a pieced green background using 3 or more green fabrics.

I started by painting nappy liners with silk paints then cut them up and ironed
them on to a piece of cotton then used a fancy stitch to make it look as if it was appliquéd.



The flowers are made from some crystal organza and when I started to put the pearl in the centre I realised it reminded me a bit of a 'Scabious' or to give it it's other name a 'Pin Cushion Flower' which considering it is a piece of sewing is rather apt don't you think.

9 comments:

Doreen G said...

I love it Susan

StegArt said...

It has turned out fabulous!

Annica said...

Great work! I love the background! It's beautiful!

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Hi Thanks for the comment on my blog. Are you doing distance stitch with Sian? Your More chapter 6 post looks familiar.

You would love Urchfont...hope you can make it next year.

Best Wishes

Maggie

Vicki W said...

Very cool flowers. It's amazing what a difference a really interesting and textured background makes to the success of a piece. Lovely!

Papoosue said...

Gorgeous Susan - Love the greens in the background.

Homeleightigger said...

Just beautiful Susan - great use of nappy liners, makes a lovely texture to the background. Love the flowers too. Val

Purple Missus said...

This has turned out really well Susan. Love the way you've used the nappy liners and the flowers are really good too.

Carol said...

Great job Susan. Where do you get your nappy liners? I can't get the right ones here in Scotland.