16 May 2007

Padfolio

I mentioned previously I was in the middle of making something, well it was with my experiments with Garden fleece, I've finally finished it. I was hoping to have it finished on Sunday so my brother could take it, because it is a present for my sister-in-law for her birthday at the end of the month but I didn't get the chance to finish, it has taken a lot longer than I expected.

Firstly I used one of the fancy stitches on my sewing machine to sew rows in Natesh thread.


I thought it needed something else to make it a bit more textured so I made some machine made cord. Blimey it took ages but I eventually made enough. I attached it in between the fancy stitching with a zig zag stitch.


Close up of stitching


I used some of the painted fleece for the lining of the padfolio but felt the pockets could do with a bit of texture so did some more stitching on to some more pieces of fleece.


I stitched this piece on the bias because it was going to be folded with a slant for the pocket.


and this is the finished Padfolio

and the inside

I made a little tag for the end of the cord and could I find the rivet to put on it could I **** (insert your own expletive). I bought a pack a few weeks ago and had got them out ready to use but when I came to use them they'd disappeared. Now I knew they had to be somewhere and I looked everywhere. I'd had a bit of a tidy up at the weekend when I put my new bookcase in my studio so I pulled everything out and looked in boxes but still couldn't find them and I was beginning to think I'd thrown them out with rubbish. I had one final look and put my hand down behind a couple of stacker boxes and guess what, there was the bag. I must have put them on top and they'd fallen down between the stacker box and one of my shelf units. Forgot to say the button is one you cover with your own material so I used a piece of the painted fleece on cotton fabric.

5 comments:

Doreen G said...

Very clever Susan and it looks fantastic.
I must be the only person in the world who hasn't made a padfolio-must do it soon.

Papoosue said...

What a great padfolio Susan, it really looks great. It's fascinating to see all the steps you took to make it too. That stitching interspersed with the cord is really effective and gives a great texture doesn't it? Like Doreen, I have never made one of these either - must give it a try!

Purple Missus said...

This turned out rather well Susan. I'm sure your SIL will be very pleased.
Isn't it so frustrating when you can't put your hands on what you are looking for?

StegArt said...

It's a fabulous padfolio. I love how your stitching and couching added such wonderful texture. The colors are great too.

Dianne said...

This is really gorgeous!! All t hose machine made cords - well done!!