07 April 2007

TAST Knotted Cretan Stitch

Well here is my Knotted Cretan Stitch at last.

I tried a few rows with thick wool to get the hang of the stitch, which I found was quite easy once I got the hang of it.

Next I painted it with some acrylic gesso,


then a layer of Burnt Umber acrylic paint,

then I lightly painted some Copper acrylic paint on but it doesn't really show up in this photo.


I bought a tube of Rub n' Buff on Thursday, I couldn't get 'Treasure Gold' so I tried using some on this piece. I nearly knocked myself out when I was using it though, I'll have to make sure I use it in a well ventilated room in future, it lets of strong fumes.


I don't think it really shows up on this though.

I had another go on a large piece of Hessian, I used some wool that I'm not to keen on the colour of because I was going to cover it so it wouldn't matter.



Next I covered it with acrylic gesso, you can see where I'm going with this piece can't you!!!
I forgot to take a photo before I started to cover it with Burnt Umber so I quickly took a close up of the part I hadn't painted on, but then I forgot to take a photo of it before I'd painted it with the Copper acrylic paint, I'd forget my head if it wasn't stuck on!!!

3 comments:

Purple Missus said...

Love them both Susan but given the choice I think I would have to say I prefer the second one. I like the look you are getting with Burnt Umber, think I will have to give that a go.

Carol said...

Hia Susan, I was so glad to find your blog, you are doing very interesting stitch things. I am on part 1 year 1 C+G myself perhaps we can share tips, I am doing machine embroidery though! I will have to think how I could translate your technique into machine.

MargaretR said...

I love this work and lucky for me I have just bought a tube of Burnt Umber acrylic paint! I must start using it. i'm glad I found you too.