05 April 2007

City and Guilds Notebook/Diary

The Induction Module recommends that I keep a notebook/general diary to record exhibitions, hours spent on a design, recipes for dyes etc in other words all the notes that aren't specific to each chapter. I bought a cheap notebook for 99p but that's exactly what it looks like, colourful but CHEAP!

So I decided to cover it with some of the leather look paper I've made before. I knew all that paper (I think it's called sugar paper) would come in useful that I'd kept from deliveries from Great Art, they put a load of it in to protect your order. I was going to put it out for the recycling van but I straightened it out and put it away.

I got the idea from an article in Stitch by Jane Wild. You start by crumpling a piece of paper up, opening it out then crumpling it again, you keep doing this until it is soft and creased.

Next I gave it a coat of 'Burnt Umber' acrylic paint.

Then I lightly painted 'Copper' acrylic paint over the top to give it an aged look.

Then all I had to do was cover the notebook with it. I decided to take the notebook apart to cover the front and back properly. I think it took me longer to take it apart and put it together than it did to make the paper but it was worth it.

5 comments:

Papoosue said...

Thats a great technique Susan, must try that out - it looks really effective. Good Luck with the course, it's so exciting to be starting something new!

Susan
http://randomblethers.blogspot.com

Purple Missus said...

Taking the time to cover the notebook was well worth it, makes all the difference. Love that old leather look.

katelnorth said...

That looks fantastic - great technique.

I'm not sure it's sugar paper, though - I think that's a coloured paper a bit thicker, they use a lot of it in schools for kids' art projects and it wouldn't crinkle so well - from the photo it looks more like newsprint. But hey, I could be wrong!

Judy Rys said...

Just beautiful. Love the color and texture.

giuseppe said...

very lovely..
i find even the white on its own in your photo has its own appeal