19 March 2007

OCA Drawing

I thought I'd post some of the drawings I did for the 1st OCA Drawing course I completed last year.

It started with some exercises on using diferent drawing media such as pencil, charcoal. They aren't very exciting to look at so I won't bore you with them.

The next chapter was on Drawing and Looking

The drawing above is various boxes and books with tins done in charcoal.

Next I had to find a load of different sized jars and bottles in pen and ink.

Then we had to use tone to describe boxes and round objects in charcoal.

In the next chapter we got to draw some real objects, starting with eggs in various mediums, pencils, pen and ink, charoal.


Then Cups and saucers in pencil, charcoal, pen and ink.


Then I got more adventorous and set up a kitchen still life which I did with a drawing pen. It took me hours to do.

And finally in the chapter a mixed media drawing of various vegetables in pencil, charcoal, pen and ink and watersoluble pencil. Again this took me hours to do.

The next chapter I had to do a few drawings outside. This is in charcoal and is trees in my local park. I entered it in the OCA Student exhibition last year in Barnsley. Unfortunately I couldn't get to go to the exhibition. I looked up on the internet train times and it would have taken me 4 hours there and 4 hours back. I couldn't get a train direct so would have had to go via Sheffield or Huddersfield.


This is of St Lukes church next to Everton's football ground just along the road from where I live. I did this in pen and ink and must admit I cheated a bit and did some quick sketches in my sketchbook of it and took some photos to work from. I felt so exposed standing drawing in the street.
This is my attempt at a Cubist study for the chapter on perspective. I'd never done anything like this before so was pleased with the finished drawing. Now I look at it from a Textile point of view it could be used as a basis for a patchwork. What do you think?

There was a choice of subjects for the last chapter depending on which you where interested in, something suitable for photographers, garden design, or artists. I could have done figure drawing but I chose to do the exercises on collage I thought they'd be more useful for Textile work.

2 comments:

Susan said...

What can I say Susan - these are amazing. What a talent you have - oh and I love the cubist one too -well done!!

Purple Missus said...

Your drawings are brilliant Susan. I do envy you this talent. have you always had this ability or is it true what they say that practise makes perfect?